Saturday, May 17, 2014

2014-2015 Curriculum Choices

I got myself a printer for Mother's Day. It's the Epson Workforce Pro WP-4530. I couldn't be more happy about this. For one...the printer was on sale...Half off!! Two...I needed a new printer! I have already printed about 350 pages!!

I have decided on our curriculum and really needed to get started planning. Before too much longer we will be starting back up. I have to have plenty of time to plan! I am seriously on cloud 9 though!! All those decisions that I had been worrying about just seemed to disappear. Price had been a bit of an issue. I have a really hard time paying for something that we may or may not like. Call it the cheap-o in me. I dunno. I just couldn't bring myself to doing that.
So....before we invest every little penny we have on elementary schooling, I figured out a wonderful way to make it happen for us...on the cheap!  My state doesn't have many requirements...not compared to some!

 This is what the Texas Home School Coalition says: To home school legally in Texas, you must follow three state law requirements:
  • The instruction must be bona fide (i.e., not a sham).
  • The curriculum must be in visual form (e.g., books, workbooks, video monitor).
  • The curriculum must include the five basic subjects of reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship.
Well...I got that down! 
1. It's definitely not a sham
2. It is in visual form
3. I have the five basic subjects PLUS Bible, Science and History/Geography :)

Reading will be done together. They will simply have different assignments to go along with the reading. Little two can draw pictures and the bigger two can write essays and reviews aka book reports :)

Spelling will consist of words from k12 Reader. We will find our definitions on Monday. Tuesdays will be for making sentences. Wednesday will be a fun activity with our words. Thursday will be test day.

Grammar will be done daily with two lessons on Monday, two lessons on Tuesday, one lesson and a review on Wednesday, and a quiz on Thursday. I found Grammar lessons here: Daily Grammar

Mathematics-Making Math Meaningful. I still need to order the books...then I will know how to plan there.

Good Citizenship- a combination of discussions and A salute to our flag TM and A salute to our flag SM

Bible Studies from Easy Peasy

Science from Easy Peasy

History and Geography came from Confessions of a Homeschooler. I ordered the Expedition Earth and Road Trip USA for $30 :) This is the part of our curriculum that has us ALL really excited!! The whole curriculum is very well planned out. I started to build my own, but the price was right and Erica did such a lovely job on it!! I can promise you that if you decide to purchase either one, you will not be disappointed! She has them as a combo pack for $30...I think it's the best 30 bucks that I've spent in a long time!! 
Here's the plan:
We are going to begin with Road Trip USA. We will not be doing two states a week. Instead, we will be doing just one and spending more time on it with some extra activities and reading materials :) Of course this means we will be doing History and Geography all year...but it's worth it :) Next year we will do Expedition Earth. 
Here is a link to the Confessions of a Homeschooler Store :) {Can you tell by all the smiley faces how excited we are??} :) 

It has taken me two hours to make this post...my kiddos are being a handful today. Hopefully after lunch and a good nap we will be able to turn the afternoon around!! Hope you all are having a beautiful weekend!! 

*hugs* 
Grace




No comments:

Post a Comment